Monday, September 28, 2015

What's in the minds of our CSUB English Majors?



Anthony Jauregui

What made you want to major in English? A failed Computer Science route, along with an interest in the pragmatic and creative side to writing.

What has been your best experience as an English major here at CSUB? Winning 2nd place in the Betty Creative Writing Award for Drama, two years in a row. (Like the repetition? Let's hope for another next year.)

What do you plan to do after graduation? Travel the United States and explore life before (hopefully), settling into a Master's Program for Writing Dramatic Media. (Fingers crossed UNLV)

What is your favorite work of literature? Edward Albee's "The Goat or Who is Sylvia?"


Jacqueline Lucas

I decided to major in English about half way through general education at Bakersfield College. I hopped all over the place, testing out different majors to see what was fit for me. After a couple of trial and error courses, I took a British Literature class and really fell in love with the English major. The most rewarding experience as an English major at CSUB was learning Middle English in Dr. Troup's Chaucer course during my first quarter at CSUB. I remember being so intimidated by the material. I read the most hilarious stories from The Canterbury Tales, in an untranslated version of the book and I had to memorize the first 18 lines from The General Prologue. I can still recite them to this day. After graduation, I am going to graduate school for a Master's in English so I can become an English Professor. My favorite work of literature is The Bald Soprano by Eugene Ionesco because it is absolutely hilarious yet completely alters the way we think about language and human interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment